NOLOSE 2012 Housing, Hotel and Travel
We'll have the whole place to ourselves!
We heard that you loved how accessible and friendly the EconoLodge as been for us in the past two years, so we're ready to take over the Oakland EconoLodge Inn and Suites once again! Hotel rooms are at least $30/night less than other comparable venues, and much less expensive than housing at previous years' conferences.
Just like last year, we'll have our own fat-positive bubble: private use of the heated pool and courtyard, without having to deal with business travelers and gawkers. And it's close to the airport and easy to get to, with free parking!
Though most of the meals are provided with registration, there are also several restaurants nearby, and snacks will be available in the hospitality suite.
How to reserve your room
We're doing things a little differently this year! Instead of making your hotel reservations through the EconoLodge, you'll be reserving your room (should you choose to stay at the EconoLodge) through NOLOSE, with your conference registration. (You can also choose to do the two transactions separately, at different times, on our registration page.) You'll then be asked to answer some questions about accessibility/floor/room needs, as well as roommate(s), so we can do our best to make your conference experience great.
You will NOT be charged for your hotel room at registration. When you arrive at the conference, you will be responsible for making your room payment in full to the EconoLodge. They will have a list of the room assignments we've based on your requests, and will charge you accordingly ($75 plus tax per night for two Queen beds, or $65 plus tax per night for one King bed).
Please do not call the EconoLodge to make a reservation, or attempt to reserve on their website. If you do, you will be told that there are no rooms available.
If you wish to stay at the EconoLodge during the days directly before or after the conference, you must contact the EconoLodge directly. In this case, you may not be able to stay in the same room during the conference that you stay in before/after the conference.
Hotel layout and accessibility
The key thing to note is that half of the rooms are downstairs and half are upstairs, and there is, unfortunately, no elevator. We'll be handling room assignments on the NOLOSE board, so we'll be sure to provide first-floor priority to those with mobility/accesibility needs. You'll be asked questions about your room needs when you reserve your hotel room on our registration page.
Unfortunately, accessible rooms at the EconoLodge, like all hotels, are limited. We have reserved accessible rooms (rooms with roll-in showers) at a nearby hotel, and will be offering a rental subsidy to make up the difference in cost, in the event that the EconoLodge accessible rooms fill up. Conference attendees requiring accessible rooms and registering by July 1st will be placed on an accessible room priority list, and will be assigned rooms on a first-come, first-served basis. This year, we will also be making the bathrooms (with step-in tub/shower and benches) in the hospitality suite and workshop rooms available during limited hours.
NOLOSE attendees can house anywhere from 1-4 people per room. We have the entire hotel reserved, but there are only 75 rooms available; please reserve as early as possible, as you'll be able to specify room/floor/accessibility preferences on the conference registration form. There are other hotels nearby, but their rates are higher.
- All conference events will take place downstairs, and are wheelchair-accessible. Additionally, there is wheelchair access to the pool, though no ramp-with-rails into the pool.
- There are a number of private wheelchair-accessible rooms available. Most have bathtubs with regular seats. Further details and specifications available at the registration page.
- Because there is no elevator, upstairs private rooms are not accessible to everyone. People who need first-floor rooms should indicate this need upon conference registration to ensure availability. We encourage those who can handle stairs to take upstairs rooms to create as much availability as possible of downstairs rooms for those who need it.
- Please read more about our low-scent policy.
- Smoking is not allowed on hotel room balconies, or in the common area between hotel and banquet hall. Smoking is permitted only on the parking lot side of the hotel and on the street side of hotel, outside the main fence. We will have signs posted to designate smoking and non-smoking areas; please be mindful of this policy, and of your neighbors' sensitivities.
- We're excited to say that the hotel main bathrooms will be gender-neutral.
Do you have other accessibility needs or concerns? Please contact access at nolose dot org.Maps/Transportation
(Feel free to also check out the hotel's transportation page).
>> Air travel to Oakland: the hotel provides a free, 24-hour shuttle to/from the Oakland Airport (which is just up the street). Once you have your luggage, just call (510) 635-1892 for shuttle service. The shuttle will arrive at 4C (for all airlines except Southwest, which has a separate pickup at 4F).
Shuttles leave the hotel for the airport every 30 minutes on the half-hour.
>> Flying into San Francisco/SFO? BART will take you from one airport to near the other, transferring midway. The fare is $8.80 each way, and takes about an hour. See below for route and transit times.
Bus/train: Please note that the free hotel shuttle will not pick you up directly from the San Leandro/Coliseum BART station! You have 4 options to choose from to get to the hotel from BART. You can either 1) call the hotel for a $5/person shuttle from the BART station; 2) take the $3 Airbus shuttle from the BART station to the Airport (shuttle stop 4C) and then call the hotel for free shuttle service; or you can take the 73 bus (fare is $2) to the Econo Lodge stop across the street (we recommend that you ask the driver to notify you at the stop). The hotel is also a short taxi ride away.
- Route from SFO --> Oakland Airport Station
- Route from Oakland Airport Station --> SFO
- 73 Bus route from San Leandro/Coliseum BART (for the mobility-impaired: this option is less accessible and lets you out across the street from the hotel)
- Airbus shuttle
Driving: I-880 Highway, exit Hegenberger Rd. Make your way up Hegenberger Rd. towards Oakland International Airport. Located at 10 Hegenberger Rd. right before the intersection where Hegenberger Rd. meets Doolittle Dr. Hotel parking is free!