Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » nolose Spring 2010 » Venue Selection

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto or SF Bay area?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:34 pm 

Y'know... I was thinking about this more today. While I'm not opposed to holding the conference in Toronto, I've been thinking through the implications of holding what seems to be a predominantly American event in Canada, and thought maybe there should be a little conversation about that.

I've heard a few Canadian and British conference attendees say that they didn't always understand what people were talking about at this year's NOLOSE conference, because a lot of the language people used to describe their activism was based in American paradigms. Generally, there seemed to be an assumption that conference attendees were American, and/or that the queer fat activism discussed at NOLOSE took place in an American context.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing. Though I think some of the calls for glossaries/general clarification of terms are probably a good idea, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with a conference taking place in the U.S., put on by a national organization (the "N" in NOLOSE stands for "national"), focusing primarily on American issues.

But! If we hold the conference in Toronto, or anywhere other than the U.S., then NOLOSE is going to have to revisit its status as a national organization, and work to formulate an agenda, vocabulary, etc. that is not so U.S.-centric.

Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. That's certainly a route we can go. But I think we need to ask ourselves if we're really willing to do the work necessary to make that happen. I think it would be profoundly bad and disrespectful of us to have a conference in Canada that was planned exclusively by American activists and overwhelmingly foregrounded American issues.

So. Thoughts?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:01 pm 

they seem equally exciting to me and basically i think we should have search committees in both locations. but what i think should determine the final decision is the quality of the best facility we find in each place and how well it meets our needs, the overall cost of holding a conference in each location (hotel cost to NOLOSE that is), and the strength of a local organizing team.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:07 pm 

Adrienne brings up an important point re: NOLOSE as a nationally-identified org.

As for myself, I would love either. Toronto is such a great city, and I haven't been there for a while. Bay area, though harder / more expensive for me to get to, is a place I've never been and would love to visit.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:38 pm 

I vote Toronto. I live only a hop, skip, and a jump away from Montreal, so I'd take the train from Montreal to Toronto. Canada is so cool! I've been wanting an excuse to visit, and NOLOSE would be perfect.

Of course I'm biased, being so close to the border, I watch mainly Canadian TV and am very interested in Canadian culture and politics. Their point of view on America is refreshing!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:24 pm 

The Toronto idea is a good one, but the international dealings/taxes/conversion all of that makes me shudder from a Board/organizer perspective. We would need someone who is on the ground in Toronto that could assist with all of that, and most likely someone who understands international stuff as it relates to non-profits and conference planning. We ain't so much of a DIY thing anymore.

I don't have too much of a preference beyond that, though I really think the Bay area would throw the attendance possibilities wide open and we would do a lot to eliminate some of the cliquish that exists due to our heavy (heh) presence on the East coast.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:08 am 

did my post get lost?

I think either is a great idea, but Toronto is fraught with international dealings. We would need someone in Toronto who could navigate that, and understands cross border event organizing. There will be tax issues, financial issues, and travel concerns. If there is someone in TO who could help with that, and someone who could handle venue selection and whatnot, then it could be more possible.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:17 pm 

cristy wrote:
The Toronto idea is a good one, but the international dealings/taxes/conversion all of that makes me shudder from a Board/organizer perspective. We would need someone who is on the ground in Toronto that could assist with all of that, and most likely someone who understands international stuff as it relates to non-profits and conference planning. We ain't so much of a DIY thing anymore.

I don't have too much of a preference beyond that, though I really think the Bay area would throw the attendance possibilities wide open and we would do a lot to eliminate some of the cliquish that exists due to our heavy (heh) presence on the East coast.

cristy, this is the last post from you in this topic that i can see. was there another? if you remember the day of the post, i'll try to search for it

Post subject: Crossing the Border: A thought
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 pm 

However much I personally would love to have the excuse to travel to Toronto, I'd like to bring a thought to the fore that I don't believe has found a voice yet.

Asking the majority of our attendees to cross the border may limit the ability of trans and genderqueer people from being able to attend. Several trans people have a gender presentation that is radically different than expectations border guards might have when they read what their "legal gender" is.

In short, a transman who hasn't changed his legal documentation from "f" to "m" may actively choose not to come to the conference rather than deal with being harassed at the border. This obviously also applies to transwomen and genderqueer persons as well.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:16 pm 

maxairborne wrote:
Despite my desire to visit Toronto, I can't help but notice that having it in the bay area would save me over a thousand bucks (2 plane seats for my fat ass). So, I will say that I'd prefer the Bay Area.

Same here. I have zero travel dollars, so Toronto would be a non-starter for me.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:01 am 

Ditto what Serene said. I have been shelling that out for years now getting to the east coast each time.

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » nolose Spring 2010 » Venue Selection