Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » nolose Spring 2010 » Venue Selection

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Crossing the Border: A thought
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 pm 

Awesome.Del wrote:
In short, a transman who hasn't changed his legal documentation from "f" to "m" may actively choose not to come to the conference rather than deal with being harassed at the border. This obviously also applies to transwomen and genderqueer persons as well.

oh!

it's so wonderful to have nice and knowledgeable folks paying attention

i was pondering the whole "needing to a have a visa" portion and went right past the reality of how difficult it can be to have documentation that differs from reality

Post subject: Re: Toronto or SF Bay area?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:46 pm 

I think that San Fransisco is probably the ideal location because of all of the different issues people have discussed here. BUT, as a poor, dis/Abled person who has never been on a plane, I think that it wouldn't be a possibility for me.

I just realized that basically people from the West Coast who are poor probably haven't been able to attend the conference due to lack of funds (even with financial aid). Being on the East Coast, and having been offered a financial aid package I couldn't refuse, I STILL couldn't make it to this year's conference because of my income restrictions, as well as the fact that I have no car of my own.

So it sucks...that poor people have such limited options. I'm sure there are people out there who would say that some folks choose poverty, but honestly, if I could afford a car, a better place to live, and the ability to take care of my needs without handouts, I would. Grrr, life just sucks sometimes.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:19 am 

I would definitely prefer SFO. Although I would like to visit Toronto, I want to visit SFO more, and I've never been to either. I am really hoping to come to the conference (I am in the UK) so it would be great to combine it with a holiday to the west coast!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 pm 

Hi All,

I am brand spanking new to this message board and I don't mean to butt in where I haven't earned a say... but I couldn't resist piping up just a bit. I live in Los Angeles and a group of my friends and I have been itching to get involved with NOLOSE for several years. Two active NOLOSE members used to live nearby us but they moved back to the East Coast so it's back to just us wannabees. :( Because all of the NOLOSE events that I have heard of over the last few years have been on the East Coast, we've been unable to attend. If the 2010 Conference was in San Francisco I think I might just die of sheer ecstasy! I can definitely say that I have at least half a dozen Californian friends who will attend who have not been part of NOLOSE yet. And I am seriously wanting to look into getting a bit of NOLOSE action happening on the West Coast, so having the Conference on this side might be a great starting point for that. Anyway, those are my two cents even though I am a stranger to you all. :) I am glad to have found these message boards, though, and hope to become an active participant of NOLOSE in the future.

Thanks!!
Julianne

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » nolose Spring 2010 » Venue Selection